It is day 2 of our health plan and on a mission to experiment with naturally gluten free superfoods, we thought we would put the tin of chickpeas sitting at the back of our cupboard to use!
Did you know that chickpeas are a high source of fibre and help your body with the absorption of nutrients? They are also full of iron and studies show they improve cardiovascular health. If that isn't tempting enough, then our no-fuss hummus recipe should hopefully inspire you to use the chickpeas that are probably sitting in the back of your kitchen cupboard as well.
Our health inspired lunch for today was a handful of Barkat's light and moreish crackers with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, our homemade hummus and a squeeze of lemon and some olive oil. A quick and easy gluten free meal or snack packed with health benefits.
Homemade 'no-fuss' hummus recipe:
1 tin chickpeas
1 teaspoon tahini
1 to 2 garlic cloves
1/2 lemon, juiced
4 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch salt and pepper
1 pinch paprika
Sliced cucumber and tomatoes to serve
* Drain tinned chickpeas and rinse with water
* Pour the chickpeas, the tahini, garlic and lemon juice into a food processor
* Blend until smooth. You can just leave the processor on for 5 minutes or so (if you like smooth hummus leave it blending for a couple of minutes longer)
* Leave the blender running, add enough olive oil to achieve the consistency you want (Make sure you don't add too much as it will make it too sloppy)
* Season with salt and pepper- taste and add more if you feel it needs it
* Sprinkle over paprika as a garnish
* Scoop it up with Barkat crackers and serve with sliced cucumber and tomatoes!
Enjoy- let us know if you give the recipe a try!