Sometimes it is far more special to receive a handmade gift than another generic box of shower gel or a Christmas jumper which will never see the light of day. For our third 'festive bakes' installment, how about making an edible gift?
Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti
These biscuits taste delicious when dipped into a hot chocolate on a cold winter's night. Wrap them up in cellophane and a big red ribbon and you will be making someone very happy indeed!
We use Barkat gluten free all purpose flour mix and baking powder to make these lovely treats!
1/4 cup light olive oil
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 3/4 cups Barkat all-purpose gluten free flour mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Barkat gluten free baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts
* Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.
*In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs.
* Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into the egg mixture. Mix in the cranberries and nuts by hand (get your hands dirty!).
* Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. (Warning: the dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle the mixture more easily).
* Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 135 degrees C.
* Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides of the parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.
* The colours of the fruit and nuts make the biscuits look so festive!