Here at Gluten Free Foods HQ we try and eat according to what is in season. This January, Clementines are the top fruit of choice. So we decided to share one of our favourite recipes for Clementine Cake! This recipe is naturally gluten free- we just use Barkat gluten free baking powder (as often Baking Powder contains gluten- be warned!)
375g/13oz clementines (about 4-5)
butter, for greasing
6 free-range eggs
225g/8oz caster sugar
250g/9oz ground almonds
1 heaped tsp Barkat gluten free baking powder
1. Place the clementines into a large, deep pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for two hours, topping up occasionally with boiling water if necessary. Drain, and when cool enough to handle, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips.
2. Place all of the clementines into a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Butter and line a 21cm/8in round spring-form cake tin with greaseproof paper.
4. Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl, then add the sugar, ground almonds and baking powder. Mix until well combined, then stir in the clementine purée.
5. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for one hour, covering it with foil or greaseproof paper after 40 minutes to prevent the top from burning (make sure you keep an eye on it!). Test to see if the cake is cooked with a skewer inserted into the middle – it should come out clean.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool, in the tin, on a wire rack. Once cooled, remove from the tin and set aside.
Sprinkle with some icing sugar and decorate with some extra segments of clementine. We love to eat this with a spoonful of Chantilly cream.
Let us know any favourite seasonal recipes or ingredients and we will give them a try!