Turn on your TV, read the papers, listen to the radio, and it's clear to see that we go diet mad as soon as January hits. We can all (most of us anyway) put up our hands and admit that the Christmas festivities equate to a couple of extra pounds on the scales and a few extra inches around our wasteband.
Well being gluten free means that you are already off to a good start for a detox infused January.
Throughout the month we will be posting our favourite nutritious recipes that will keep you feeling satisfied and healthy all month long.
To start us off, here are a couple of our top breakfast recipes:
20g Barkat Porridge Flakes
100 ml Almond milk (or your choice of milk)
50 ml Water
1 Apple (grated)
1 Tablespoon Flaked Almonds
A good sprinkling of cinnamon
A teaspoon of honey
* Heat the milk and water on the hob, once simmering add the porridge flakes and stir
* Let the flakes soak into the milk and water and stir for about 5 mins
* Once the flakes have softened and the porridge feels like it has a good consistency, take it off the hob.
* Add the apple, almonds and stir in the cinnamon and honey.
What a great start to the day!
Egg white frittata with Barkat wholemeal gluten free bread
Eggs are the most nutritious way of starting the day. With a low calorie content and full of nutrients, we try and start most days with an egg involved!
This frittata is seriously simple to whip up and tastes delicious
1/2 pound asparagus spears
2 whole eggs and four egg whites
1/4 cup skimmed milk
1/4 cup feta cheese/low fat cheddar
4 slices Barkat wholemeal sliced bread
(you can add any other yummy veg that you like- sometimes we add roasted butternut squash and courgettes- it adds a lovely sweetness to the flavour!)
* Turn on the grill
* Steam or boil asparagus spears for 2-3 minutes, then plunge in cold water and drain. Cut asparagus into pieces and set aside.
* Combine eggs with milk.
* Pour a drop of olive oil onto a medium nonstick skillet (with an oven-proof handle) and heat on a medium light on the hob. Add asparagus pieces, immediately followed by the egg mixture. Cook frittata gently and undisturbed for five minutes, until edges begin to set. Sprinkle cheese on top.
* Carefully transfer skillet to the grill and cook frittata for 2-3 minutes until eggs are set and are golden in color.
* Cut frittata into 4 wedges and serve immediately with a slice of toasted wholemeal bread on the side.
Enjoy these breakfast suggestions and send us pictures of your healthy recipes!