Nothing is more comforting than a big bowl of soup on a cold,wet day.
Seeing as beetroot is in season, we thought we'd share our favourite soup recipe which tastes great with a thick slice of Barkat's gluten free country loaf and a slice of mature cheddar!
We love the vibrant colour of the soup and to get a fiery kick, we add a teaspoon of horseradish- delish!
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 onion, sliced
* 500g potatoes, peeled and chopped
* 750g beetroot, peeled and chopped
* 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
* 100ml soured cream
* 4-5 tbsp horseradish
* Barkat's Country bread loaf
* small handful dill (to make it look professional!)
* Heat half the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and on a medium heat, cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
* Add the potatoes and beetroot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring all the while. Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and 500ml of water.
* Bring to the boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
* Pour into a blender, along with half the soured cream, and whizz until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the horseradish, to taste.
* To make it look ultra professional, serve with a teaspoon of soured cream and a sprinkling of chopped dill.
Then all you need to do is bake the crunchy loaf and slice up your favourite cheddar.
This is a definite winter warmer!